Beutiful Magazine is an online magazine that is dedicated to showing women how perfect and beautiful they are, regardless of what society says! They're slogan is "By undefining, we are redefining." Beutiful promotes anti-sexism, anti-racism messages and acceptance of all people including LGBTQIA and disabled persons. This past summer and until the end of September Beutiful Magazine is running a body acceptance swimsuit campaign called "Suit Urself" (#SuitUrself). The magazine is collecting photographs of REAL bodies (men and women) in swim suits to promote self acceptance! Check out the submissions so far here!
If you are wondering why it's so important to help support these types of campaigns....Beutiful will tell you that 50% of women have turned down invitations to events that required wearing a swimsuit....and those who do attend the events....well 45% of them won’t walk around without covering up first. Beutiful also refers to some pretty crazy and true facts, check out the entire article here:
- 18% of women would rather go to the dentist or walk on hot coals than wear a swimsuit
- 83% of women feel that they are being “judged” by other women when wearing a swimsuit
- 63% of women fully admit to being their own worst critic
- Women under age 45 are more likely to have anxiety zones than their elders
- When women were asked whether men judge other men, just 5% said they do, most feeling men really don’t care how they look (53%)
Obviously these stats tell us that something needs to change! So why don't we! Help Beutiful out this month and send them a picture of you in your swimsuit....and remember no matter what society thinks.... YOU ARE BE *YOU* TIFUL!
If you’re interested in participating in the SUIT URSELF Swimsuit Challenge, you can send a submission to firstname.lastname@example.org!