The group invited anyone interested in helping their movement to come out and bare it all in front of Victoria's Secret in New York, Times Square. The goal was to bring attention to the serious issue of body dissatisfaction and to make a statement about what real bodies look like (as opposed to the Photoshopped bodies depicted in the media). This group sure made an impact!
In addition, to showing the world what real bodies look like, the group aimed to have passerby's sign a Body Acceptance Pledge which challenges you to pledge:
- I pledge to love my body, inside and out, with every dimple, scar, freckle, lump, roll and curve I have.
- I pledge to try to start loving my body however I am feeling, however I look, and wherever I am.
- I pledge to stop negative self-talk and to fight back against those negative thoughts with new, positive ones.
- I pledge to resist the messages of the media telling me that I must change my body to be happier.
- I pledge to keep my body healthy by feeding it when it’s hungry and refrain from hurting my body by committing violence against it and not taking care of it.
- I pledge to appreciate what makes my body different from anyone else's.
- I pledge to remember that my self-worth is not determined by my appearance.
- I pledge to accept the changes my body goes through.
- I pledge to accept and love the skin I’m in.
Their website says that they received 66 signed pledges the day of their gathering ! The group has brought some much needed attention to these important issues and have been featured on local news stations and online newspapers and blogs. Keep up the great work! Check out their website for the latest updates...www.about-face.org